1 ½ lbs zucchini
¼ cup almond flour
¼ cup grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons Psyllium Husks
1 large onion, diced
2 eggs (organic if possible), beaten
Sea salt, black pepper, dried basil or oregano, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1) Peel and cut zucchini into appr. 1-inch rounds, then shred in a food processor.
2) Transfer to a colander over the sink. Add salt and gently toss to combine; let sit for 10 minutes.
3) Using a clean dish towel or cheese cloth, drain zucchini completely.
4) In a large bowl, combine zucchini, almond flour, Parmesan, Psyllium fiber, onion and eggs, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
5) Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat.
6) Scoop tablespoons of batter for each fritter flattening with a spatula and cook until the bottom side is nicely golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side, about 1 – 2 min longer.
7) Serve immediately: they are best when fresh and hot from the pan!
– they taste delicious with hummus; you can also try them with Greek or dairy-free yogurt.
– if your zucchini squash is drier, like mine was, you can skip Steps 2 and 3.
– use the spatula that will fit completely under a fritter: it will be easier to flip, and less chance of fritters falling apart.